I’m happy to announce that we’re bringing back MNKINO Film Score Fest this year! If you haven’t heard of it, it’s an awesome challenge where filmmakers and composers are paired up to create short films, and the Composer Quest Orchestra plays the scores live at the screening. Sign up below if you want to participate this year as a composer or filmmaker!
Here are the important dates:
April 9th – sign-ups begin
June 5th – videos due
June 30th – compositions due
July 28th – screening at the Science Museum of Minnesota
Here’s our announcement podcast episode, to get you started:
Here’s our theme announcement video:
- Sign up (below) to be paired up with a filmmaker or composer. The sooner you sign up, the more likely we’ll be able to find a partner for you.
- We’ll screen as many films as we can, but our orchestra has a limited amount of scores they can learn. If needed, we will select films based on: 1) artistic quality, 2) score playability, 3) whether or not they fit in the overall program, and 4) whether or not the films/scores were made locally in Minnesota.
Guidelines for filmmakers:
- Video must be under 5 minutes
- Based on the theme “legend”
- Any video format is acceptable (but please avoid .wmv if possible!)
- Send your video to your composer partner by June 5, 2015
Guidelines for composers:
- We will have one of each of these instruments: flute, oboe, Bb clarinet, saxophone (alto, tenor, or bari), bassoon, french horn (in F), Bb trumpet, trombone, tuba, drum set, guitar (classical, steel string, or electric), grand piano, violin, viola, cello, double bass, and an additional percussion player, who can play one of the following: two-octave xylophone, glockenspiel, triangle, woodblock, shaker, tambourine, claves, cabasa, bongos, bodhran (Celtic), ashiko (African), djun (African), djembe (African), box drum.
- Score and parts must be formatted for 8.5 x 11″ paper, vertical layout. Make sure it’s readable by a human conductor and not too tiny.
- When finished, send email@example.com (using dropbox or wetransfer):
- PDFs of your score and parts
- MIDI file if possible (so we can create a click track)
- The final video with your score audio demo (for the musicians to learn)
- The final video without score audio demo, for the video playback
- mp3 file of your score audio demo (for the musicians to listen & learn)
- Due date for scores is June 30th, 2015
Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with filmmaking questions and email@example.com with composing questions.