For this special 100th episode of Composer Quest, I thought I’d invite back my songwriter guest from the very first episode: Mitchell Adam Johnson. If you heard that episode, you know Mitchell has a knack for bringing music theory into his pop songwriting. We talk about chord progressions, “bizarro” tritones, Motown bass lines, and deep questions like “What’s the purpose of music?” Mitchell is releasing his first ever solo EP, Half Moon Lane, in just a few weeks, and this is a sneak preview of his beautiful new songs. Also, stick around until the end of the episode, and you’ll get to hear a new song collaboration between Mitchell and me.
Subscribe to Composer Quest
Mitchell’s Half Moon Lane EP will be out soon, so check back in mid-November and I’ll have a link to it in this post. Make sure to also check out his producer Tyler Tholl’s episode.
- 0:00 – Composer Quest theme by Mitchell Adam Johnson, re-harmonized on guitar
- 0:49 – “The Patchwork Horses” by The Patchwork Horses
- 1:34 – “Round and Round” by Mitchell Adam Johnson (Half Moon Lane)
- 2:02 – “Three Halloween Miniatures: III. The Dance of the Scarecrow” by Michael J. Winstanley (MIDI rendition)
- 3:14 – “The Closing Door” by Mitchell Adam Johnson (Half Moon Lane)
- 4:25 – Original Composer Quest theme by Mitchell Adam Johnson
- 11:43 – “Wish I Was Your Girl” by Spencer McGillicutty
- 17:06 – “Monday Boys” by The Patchwork Horses
- 33:17 – “When Donna Came Back” by Mitchell Adam Johnson (performed and produced by Tyler Tholl)
- 37:26 – “Abbey Brown” by Mitchell Adam Johnson (Half Moon Lane)
- 59:58 – “October Dream” by Mitchell Adam Johnson (performed and produced by Charlie McCarron)