Composer Richard Russell is a philosopher at heart. In his mission to become a better composer, he went back to school to study the big questions surrounding aesthetics, music, and beauty. He has also dug into both existential and practical composing topics in his podcast Creativity & Composition (one of my favorites).
I’m pleased to bring you this Composer Quest podcast interview with Richard, in which we discuss everything from feminist musicology to Plato to getting performance royalties from ASCAP.
Subscribe to Composer Quest
All the music in this episode was composed by Richard D. Russell.
- 0:00 – Reverie
- 0:36 – Adagio for String Quartet
- 2:33 – Violin Sonata Movement 2
- 6:45 – Violin Sonata Movement 1
- 7:32 – Violin Sonata Movement 2
- 8:22 – Violin Sonata Movement 3
- 11:50 – Ah! Are You Digging On My Grave? (Based on the poem by Thomas Hardy)
- 18:57 – Time is Not an Option Song 2 (Poetry by Elisabeth Frost)
- 29:13 – Violin Sonata Movement 1
- 30:10 – The Heart Asks Pleasure First (Based on the poem by Emily Dickenson)