Since the recent episodes of Composer Quest have been about electronic and video game music, I thought we could do a composing quest related to it. So here’s your challenge, should you choose to accept it: create a loop-able piece of music that’s under 2 minutes, using MIDI. Send me your audio file and MIDI layers (firstname.lastname@example.org) by May 25th.
Next, I’ll send your MIDI layers to another random participant in this quest, and they will add their own sounds to your MIDI data, with no knowledge of the sounds you used. You will also receive someone else’s MIDI file to do the same. When everyone’s done with their remixes (June 3rd deadline), I’ll reveal the original and remixed versions of each track. I think it will be a fun experiment!
Here’s the announcement episode:
Here are the important details:
- Your track must be original, and created for this challenge.
- It can’t be longer than 2 minutes, and make it loopable if you can.
- When you’re exporting your MIDI files, make sure you have a separate MIDI file for each layer, and make sure each file starts at the same time, so they’re easy to line up.
- Wednesday, May 25th is the deadline for your initial track. Email me (email@example.com) your audio file and MIDI files.
- I’ll send out the MIDI files for remixing on Friday, May 27th.
- For your remix, you can do slight tweaking to the MIDI file if you want, but try to keep it essentially the same.
- Friday, June 3rd is the deadline for your remixed track. Email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) your audio file.
- On the legal side of things, you’ll need to agree to your music being remix-able, so I’m suggesting a Creative Commons license of Attribution-NonCommercial. If you decide later that you want to use the music in a game or something, it will be up to you and your remixing partner to decide how the ownership is split.
If you have questions about this quest, feel free to email me – email@example.com.
Good luck, and happy questing!
Support Composer Quest on Kickstarter
I’m planning a podcasting expedition around the US, Australia, and Taiwan for the final season of Composer Quest in the fall. If you want to make this seventh season happen, show your support here. Thanks!