Jason P. Schumacher has made a name for himself as a filmmaker in the Twin Cities, but he’s also had songwriting in the background of his life since high school. In this episode of Composer Quest, we talk about Jason’s first official EP, Dumpster Baby, which is kind of a retrospective of his melodies and guitar riffs from his earliest songwriting days. Jason also shares some great advice on freelancing, and we talk about some of our favorite film scores.
Question of the week: what’s your favorite film score, and why? Share your answer in the Composer Quest forum.
Music we talk about in this episode:
- Jason’s EP, Dumpster Baby
- Omnitrigger music video by Jason (double speed recording)
- The New World (classical ending from Wagner’s Ring Cycle)
- There Will Be Blood (unique up-front scoring with momentum)
- Beasts of the Southern Wild (big-sounding score that still fits the style)
- Punch-Drunk Love (nerve-wracking soundscape)